How often do you check your transmission fluid, and how do you check it? You are probably among several Las Vegas drivers who ask themselves this question. Luckily, the service department at Findlay Toyota has created a helpful guide to help you keep your transmission fluid in check. Your transmission is what moves your car, so it’s important to regularly check the transmission fluid. Learn how to check your transmission fluid with Findlay Toyota.
Checking Your Transmission Fluid: Step-by-Step
You don’t have to be an ace mechanic to properly check your transmission fluid. To check your transmission fluid, simply follow these easy steps:
- You’ll want the engine warmed up, so turn on the engine for a few minutes.
- Make sure your car is in the park position before getting out and opening the hood.
- Locate the transmission fluid dipstick. Usually, this dipstick is located to the right of the oil dipstick. If you’re unsure, check your owner’s manual for the location of the transmission fluid dipstick.
- Once you have found the dipstick, remove it and touch the fluid on the dipstick. The fluid should be pretty clear with a slight pink color. If the fluid looks dirty or smells burnt, take it to a service center for a replacement.
- Wipe off the fluid with a rag, then reinsert the dipstick. Pull out the dipstick again and check the level. If it’s under the “full” marking, you’ll need to add more fluid.
- Use a funnel to fill up the fluid to the “full” marker and try not to overfill it.
If you’re ever unsure about whether your transmission fluid needs to be replaced, schedule a service with Findlay Toyota.
Checking the Fluid in a Sealed Transmission
If you open the hood and find no dipstick for the transmission fluid, then your car is probably equipped with a sealed transmission. This doesn’t mean the transmission fluid can’t be accessed, but there is no dipstick with which you can measure the fluid. If you have a sealed transmission, you’ll need to take your vehicle to a service center in the Boulder City area to have it serviced.
When to Check the Fluid in a Sealed Transmission
Sealed transmissions are designed to limit the amount of transmission fluid wasted, which saves you money in the long run. However, issues can always arise and fluid will eventually need to be replaced. To see if your transmission fluid needs to be replaced, watch out for these signs:
- Strange noises when changing gears
- Gears hesitate before changing
- Noticeable delay in gears shifting
Schedule Transmission Service with Findlay Toyota!
Now that you know how to check your transmission fluid, you can confidently determine whether or not your vehicle needs transmission service. If you car is due for a transmission fluid change, contact us to get an appointment. We’re located in Henderson, but you can visit us online to schedule a visit or learn more service tips and tricks.