How much can a Toyota 4Runner tow? When properly equipped, the 4Runner SUV has no trouble towing up to 5,000 pounds*. What’s more, since every 4Runner configuration includes the standard features you’ll need to pull heavy loads, you won’t even have to upgrade to enjoy these impressive capacities in %%di_city%%. Heading out past %%target_city_3%% with a trailer or a small boat has never been easier.
4Runner Towing Features
No matter which 4Runner trim level you select, you’ll receive the following towing features for safer, easier rides on the roads near %%target_city_1%% and %%target_city_4%%:
- 4.0L V6 Engine: The 4Runner is powered by a rugged 4.0L V6 engine that generates 270 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque. It’s paired with a 5-speed automatic transmission.
- Wiring Harness with 4- and 7-Pin Connectors: Hooking up your trailer lights is simple and easy with this SUV’s standard harness and connectors.
- Integrated Towing Hitch Receiver: The Toyota 4Runner is built to take you anywhere you want to go! For that reason, all trims come standard with the heavy-duty hitch receiver you’ll need.
The Toyota 4Runner is also available with on-demand four-wheel drive. This feature makes the 4Runner exceptionally stable when you’re towing heavy loads near %%target_city_4%%.
What Is an SAE J2807 Towing Rating?
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has sought to ensure a level playing field for drivers who need to compare the tow ratings of different models. They’ve designed a series of tests, assessing a vehicle’s structure, ballast, chassis, and tires, in order to ensure all-around capability.
These engineers know that there’s a lot more to towing than engine power alone. As a result, their tests look at overall vehicle dynamics and hitch structure at the same as they evaluate a given model’s power and torque. Choosing an SUV or a truck that’s been rated to SAE J2807 standards is the best way to ensure that you’re getting your money’s worth.
4Runner Towing vs. the Competition
Even with its standard front-wheel drive, the 2019 Toyota 4Runner delivers towing power that competitors can’t match. Here’s how a few top challengers measure up against this Toyota:
- 2019 Honda Pilot LX FWD: 3,500 pounds
- 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x2: 3,500 pounds
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Sport: 3,500 pounds
Although a 3,500-pound capacity will be sufficient for some tasks, drivers who want to be prepared for anything will feel much more confident behind the wheel of the 4Runner. Drivers who are still searching for that perfect SUV should note that the 2019 Toyota Highlander also offers a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds when properly equipped. Compare the Highlander to the 4Runner in-depth to learn more.
Learn More at %%di_name%%
Ready to take the next steps? Explore our inventory today to find a new or used Toyota 4Runner for sale in %%di_city%% today! Once you’ve found the model that’s right for you, you can schedule your test drive and apply for financing with %%di_name%%.
More on Toyota Models
[di_posts posts_per_page="3" thumbs="false" date="false" category_name="Toyota Models"]